Becoming a billionaire is no easy feat and that is why only a limited number of people in the world reach billionaire status. From those that do, not much is made about millennial billionaires, given their extraordinary ability to accumulate such a huge amount of wealth at a relatively young age.
Interested in personal wealth, PhysicalGold.com analysed the latest data from Forbes to establish which industries in the world have the most millennial (23 – 38 years old) billionaires.
- Technology is the sector that has the most millennial billionaires with 28; the combined net worth of the 28 tech millennial billionaires equates to an astonishing $254.5 billion!
- The finance and investment industry has the next most millennial billionaires with eight and the accumulative net worth of the eight millennial billionaires is $24.6 billion
- The automotive, fashion and retail, healthcare and media and entertainment industries respectively have six millennial billionaires each
- Interestingly, the construction and engineering, gambling and casinos, logistics, sports and telecommunications industries have no millennial billionaires
- Overall, there are currently 78 millennial billionaires in the world and the collective net worth of the 78 millennial billionaires is a colossal $418.6 billion
- The richest millennial billionaire in the world is ‘Facebook’ CEO Mark Zuckerberg with a sizeable net worth of $97 billion
- In second position is Zhang Yiming, the founder of content media platform ‘ByteDance’ has a net worth of $35.6 billion
- CEO of work management software ‘Asana’ Dustin Moskovitz ($17.8 billion) and founder of messaging app ‘Telegram’ Pavel Durov ($17.2 billion) are among the other millennial billionaires with a net worth of more than $15 billion
Methodology for Research:
- PhysicalGold.com established, from a reputable source (Pew Research Center) the ages which fall under the category of millennials and from Pew Research Center, it’s stated that the 23 to 28 age range is to be considered a millennial.
- PhysicalGold.com then analysed the latest data from Forbes World’s Billionaires list to see how many billionaires aged between 23 to 38 were in the 17 different industries.
- The results were then tallied for each included industry and were thus ranked by the industries who currently have the most to least number of millennial billionaires.
- For added context, the net worth of each identified millennial billionaire in a particular industry were added together to show the collective net worth of all the millennial billionaires in each industry.
- Those millennial billionaires who accumulated their fortune from more than one sector/industry (‘diversified’) were excluded from the research, so it could be a fair and definitive assessment for each included industry in the research – in total there were five millennial billionaires who fell under the ‘diversified’ classification.